Take Care When Buying a Property ‘Off the Plan’

Take Care When Buying a Property ‘Off the Plan’

The term “buying off the plan” usually refers to purchasing a property that is not yet built yet.  Buying off the plan can also refer to the purchase of a block of vacant land that is part of a subdivision, or a house or unit being built for sale where the land on which the property stands is not yet registered as a separate title.

Selling property off the plan allows a land owner to negotiate lending rates with banks, as banks may be more willing to offer lower land development rates if some of the land, houses, or units have already been sold.

This is an advantage for the land developer and can also be attractive to a prospective purchaser who buys into an off the plan property in the early stages of the development.

There are however risks for the buyer of an off the plan property and a diligent purchaser should take care when entering into this type of purchase contract.

The Contract

A contract for the purchase of property off the plan likely will not have a precise competition or settlement date.

By contrast, a standard contract will have a precise date for settlement to occur (either an exact date in the future or a completion period say “60 days after the contract is dated”). An off the plan purchase contract will still have a timeframe but it is usually stipulated that settlement will occur within a number of days following completion of the building project and/or registration.

Off the plan contracts also often include a provision called a “sunset clause” which establishes a period within which the contract must be completed – say within 24 months of the date of the contract. This means that completion or settlement can be anytime in that 24 month period after the signing of contracts. If the date passes and the works are not completed, the parties may terminate the contract.

If you are buying a block of land off the plan in a subdivision the contract will usually include a clause allowing a variation in the area of the land that you will purchase on completion. This is because the local council and the land title registering authority have the final say on the area of the lots in the subdivision, and may require the land owner/developer to change the areas. This reduction is usually capped at “not more than 5% of the area” in the contract and does not normally occur, but if it does your land area may be reduced whilst the purchase price remains the same.

When houses or units are sold off the plan the construction of the property often will not begin until after you enter into the contract. The usual concerns with this type of purchase are that the progress of the building and the standard of the building work may be different to what you as the buyer contemplated.

Often the developer will have a demonstration or display home to inspect, showing you a model of how the buildings should look once completed, or they may have design guidelines and artist’s impressions of the building. These may not resemble exactly the finished building as some changes may be made during construction and you need to ensure that the contract provides some protection here. It is essential that you check the details of features, fixtures and fittings such as the stove, range hood, dishwasher, etc. and ensure that the quality of all finishes is clearly specified in a schedule that should be attached to the contract.

Market Fluctuations 

You should keep in mind that like the economy, property market conditions fluctuate and with long-term building projects such as luxury high-rise units, the value of the units may change prior to completion of the building and your contract. The price you agreed to pay stays the same regardless.

Paying a Deposit

Your deposit could be tied up for some time between signing the contract and settlement.

Paying a deposit by way of a Deposit Bond (not always available in all states) or bank guarantee may be a better choice than a cash deposit when buying off the plan. If you terminate the contract your bond or guarantee can be cancelled and you do not need to take steps to recover your cash deposit.

You should always seek legal advice if a request is made to release the deposit to the owner before the sale is settled. If you do pay a cash deposit you should stipulate in the contract who is holding the money and where it is being held. If possible it should be deposited in an interest bearing account by the stakeholder (often the real estate agent).

The Developer’s Financial Position 

Construction companies and land developers who become insolvent or go bankrupt during construction can leave a trail of destruction behind them. Rising building and material and labour costs may force a site closure and you may be locked into a contract for a home that is not finished within the timeframe you expected.

In some states the builder will be required to have insurance which may provide some compensation for defective work or loss due to a bankrupt builder. You should seek legal advice to see what protection is offered before signing a contract.

While an early buyer off the plan has the best choice of the land or homes available in a project and has a longer time to on-sell the property for potential profit, the strategy is not without risk. There are many factors to consider before entering into a contract and our property experts can help guide you through this process.

If you or someone you know wants more information or needs help or advice, please contact us on (02) 9963 9800 or via our contact form.

5 Costs to Factor in When Buying a Home

5 Costs to Factor in When Buying a Home

Etheringtons Solicitors Note: In June 2022, the NSW Government announced legislation to reform transfer duty within NSW, moving to an ‘annual property tax’ system. These changes will take place over a number of years. For more information, click here.

If you are currently in the process of buying, looking or saving for a house, there are extra costs beyond the property’s price tag that you need to know about.

1.  Transfer duty (previously known as stamp duty)

When you purchase a property in NSW, you are required to pay transfer duty. This is a tax on property which varies depending on the value of the property. Generally, the more expensive the property you are purchasing, the more transfer duty you will pay. Transfer duty must typically be paid with 30 days of settlement, and may be a big upfront cost. It is important to factor your transfer duty costs into the other upfront costs you will need to make.

Some websites will help you calculate an estimate for what your transfer duty will be, to help you plan.

2.  Pest and building inspections 

Before purchasing property, it is recommended that you have pest and building inspections to determine the property’s condition. These inspections are especially important for older properties which might have long term problems that are not evident in a general inspection. Make sure you appoint a qualified person such as a licensed builder, surveyor or architect.

3.  Mortgage registration

You are required to pay a fee to formally register your mortgage in NSW. This mortgage registration payment is required by the state government to register the security for a home loan. This is important as it allows any potential buyers to check claims against the title of your property.

4.  Loan application or establishment fee

When you take out a home loan, you may be required to pay an establishment fee. However, some lenders will waive this fee, so it is worthwhile to around and see what your options are.

5.  Mortgage insurance

If you are borrowing more than 80% of the property value, you may be required to pay ‘Lenders Mortgage Insurance’ (LMI). The lender’s valuation of the property determines this fee.

Further Information 

It is important that buyers are aware of any additional costs which may be required when purchasing a property. If you have any questions or concerns, we can provide additional information and advice to you regarding your situation. If you would like to discuss your concerns with a legal professional please contact us on (02) 9963 9800 or via our contact form.